Historical Soča Valley
The Upper Soča Region was part of the Isonzo Front during the First World War. Preserved from this time have been trenches, fortifications, memorials and military cemeteries, which constitutes important cultural and historical heritage. In order to protect and preserve this heritage “The Walk of Peace in the Soča Region” Foundation was founded in 2000. Even before it was established certain parts of the front line had been restored and arranged by some historical and tourist societies in the Soča Region. The Foundation joined the initiatives of these societies and, together with them, began to arrange six outdoor museums. In collaboration with the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage and with experts, restorers and conservators, it restores the memorials from the time of the First World War. The Foundation also lays great emphasis on the study and research activities.
THE WALK OF PEACE
The Walk of Peace which combines the heritage of the Isonzo Front with natural wonders is the main product of the Foundation. It is dedicated to the memory of numerous victims of the First World War. Trekking along the about 100 km long Walk of Peace, or only along a part of it, offers to every visitor an active rest in the wonderful, tranquil, unspoiled nature marked with the river Soča, the world of medium-high and high mountains, flocks of sheep and goats, and still active alpine pastures in summer, and the history of the First World War. The walk starts at Log pod Mangartom at the entrance to the mine shaft named Štoln, and ends at the outdoor museum Mengore near Most na Soči. It is divided into five sections and trekking along each of them can be done in one day. It runs past military cemeteries and chapels, Kluže Fortification, outdoor museums, the Koritnica gorge, the Soča gorge, the idyllic mountain alps, the Kozjak fall, two charnel houses, at Kobarid and Tolmin, a memorial church of the Holy Spirit on the Javorca plateau, the Tolminka gorge, etc.
The Kobarid Museum was founded in 1990 with the aim of presenting the rich history of Kobarid and particularly the events on the Soča Front from May 1915 to November 1917. Its orientation places it among historical museums with a military subject and an antiwar message. In the foreground are the "little people" caught up in the horrors of war who can not be divided into good and bad by the colours of their uniforms.
The greater part of the permanent exhibition is devoted to events in the mountainous northern section of the Soča Front and the detailed presentation of the famous Battle of Kobarid, the twelfth battle on the Soča River on October 24, 1917, during which German and Austro-Hungarian divisions drove the Italian forces back all the way to the Piave River. These events inscribed the names of KOBARID, CAPORETTO, and KARFREIT on the maps forever.
Kobariški muzej, Gregorčičeva 10, 5222 Kobarid SLOVENIA
phone: 00386 (05) 3890000
April - September 9 - 18
9 - 19 Sat., Sun., Holiday
October - March 10 - 17
9 - 18 Sat., Sun., Holiday
THE MUSEUM IS OPEN EVERY DAY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
Free-of-charge guide for a group of at least 15 persons announced in advance.
Guide for smaller groups - 20 €/hour.
Guided tours are also organized along the Kobarid History Walk (3 hrs.) and on the areas of the Isonzo Front remains.
Captions and texts are in Slovenian, Italian, German, and English. Guided visits are in Slovenian, Italian, German, English, Croatian, French, and Spanish. Multivision presentation is in Slovenian, Italian, German, English, French, Spanish, Czech, and Hungarian.
TICKETS (year 2011):
5 € Adults
4 € Retired persons
4 € Students (University, Secondary levels)
2,5 € Schoolchildren